Monday, July 21, 2008

The Ultimate Fishing Outfit?

Del in her fishing gearAlright, another World of Warcraft themed post. I cannot possibly live up to the opinion piece Mark wrote, but I can hold my own when it comes to virtual reality.


Have you ever gone fishing? Right now I am talking real life, bait the hook, throw on a bobber and weight, cast the line, and sit for hours waiting for a tiny tug. You have? So have I. I enjoyed fishing when I was younger, when that was all it required of me. Fishing excursions have become a chore I don't look forward to in real life these days. I spend the bulk of my time untangling lines, re-baiting hooks, ducking away from mis-cast lines, and any other crises that happen while the children fish. My pole, inevitably, never leaves the chair I set it next to. Forget reading the book I chose for the occasion, I'm too busy keeping Bobby and Sally's(names changed to protect the underage) fishing poles strung, baited, and cast.


So, I find fishing in World of Warcraft very rewarding. Why? Because not only do I get to cast my line, I also catch fish! I also catch the flotsam, but since it is generally worth something, and doesn't tangle my line or steal my bait, I'm usually not upset about it.


Just like my children, I started out not able to catch much. Leveling fishing in the game doesn't involve me getting hooked by someone else's bad casting technique, so it is, although boring, not painful. Delgada, my new main, picked up fishing at level 5, but didn't do much without while she leveled. She found herself at the ripe age of 70 with about 75 points of fishing skill. Still too early for her to use her Nat Pagle's Extreme Angler FC-5000, She bought a Strong Fishing Pole and added a Shiny Bauble, and cast her line into the waters outside the Wailing Caverns. Have you ever eaten sushi? I'm not sure if a raw Deviate Fish tastes the same, but I imagine that the effects are similar. That, and the fish sell very well, as they can be cooked into Savory Deviate Delight. Yarrr!!! The perfect food for anyone wanting a face lift, but not wanting to go through the trouble of re-rolling a new character!


I'd like to take a moment to thank Blizzard for changing fishing. Since the change, fishing can be leveled anywhere. As most of my guild has no use for Oily Blackmouth or even Stonescale Eel, it was nice to be able to get my fishing up to 225 in the Barrens. An innumerable amount of fish caught, I equipped my good fishing pole, finished out my fishing, and traveled to Dustwallow Marsh to seek out Nat Pagle, the fisherman extraordinaire. He said he would teach me, if I could catch some rare fish to prove my skill. It was nice to have the mobility of an older character to do this quest. I brought him his fish, and he taught me to cast my line a little further, and bait my hook with more tasty morsels to lure in better fish. Happily, I rubbed my hearthstone and wished for home, to take my skills to the lakes of Zangarmarsh.


I'll save you all the gritty details of the skill levels I won in Zangarmarsh. Just know that there are very large insects out there and some nasty merfolk, who didn't appreciate me taking their dinner from under their gills. I met a fellow named Juno Dufrain, who, after I slipped him a few coins, remembered an old book he had laying around that would help me build on my short studies with Nat. Before that, I failed to mention Shawndra and her generous shipment of old crates. Without them, I may never have read the book on tracking fish. It was a great read!


Delgada finds herself, after an afternoon of testing her skill at the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza, the proud owner of a new hat ,some high test line, and a nice pile of coins from selling the other fish she caught. Having those two items, she really wants to have an outfit, just for fishing. Now, before anyone tells me that she should make some blue overalls, let me remind you that Delgada likes showing off her knobby knees and elbows. She tried them on, and they looked horrible! So, listed below, you will find her intended fishing ensemble.


Lucky Fishing Hat or Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat


Mordant's Travel Tunic


Azure Silk Belt


Archmage Pants of the Owl


Fireheart Gloves of the Eagle with Enchant Gloves - Fishing


Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots


Fun for fishing, looks good, and may keep me out of trouble with the few stats they provide.


Thanks for stopping by, leave your mark on the wall to let me know you came!

No comments: